Wednesday, February 11, 2009

President's Day Activity

Hey Girls,
So I don't know about any of you but I was struggling to find something fun and interesting to do with my kids for president's day. Well, I ended up coming across a fun idea so I thought I'd share. You can have your students write a letter to the president and tell them you will be mailing it to the White House. They can ask him anything they want (you might want to do a pre interactive writing to talk about appropriate ideas) then you actually mail the letters to the white house and your class will receive a package that has stickers, a letter, a packet about the white house and presidents. I thought it sounded pretty fun! Hopefully it really works! Anyway, I'm gonna try it tomorrow. It takes 6 to 8 weeks to get something back. I'll let ya know how it works out.
Lauren

3 comments:

Jamie K. said...

Lauren, that is such a cute idea, I am totally going to do that with my kids this week! Thanks for sharing.

Another thing you can do is on a full sheet of paper put the profile outline of Lincoln and Washington and do some penny and nickle rubbings. My kids are learning about money soon so it goes along with both presidents day and math...

Lauren Bigelow said...

We are learning about money too.I like the rubbing idea! Thanks

A. Burge said...

I am doing the letter thing this week. I found a book called, "Mr. Lincoln's Whiskers" about a real girl that really wrote a letter to Pres. Lincoln and then mailed it. I thought it tied in nicely with the President's day theme and writing to our President. Thanks for the idea Lauren!